Electrical fires are more common than you think, and more often than not, they occur because of negligence from homeowners. Electrical fires are dangerous because they not only result in property loss, but they can also result in death. Preventing these fires is vital for the safety of you and your family, so never compromise on hiring a qualified electrician when you notice something awry with your electrical systems. Failure to address certain issues will make you responsible for igniting an electrical fire in your home.
Ignoring Damaged Or Frayed Wiring Throughout Your Home
One of the biggest causes of electrical fires is faulty, damaged or frayed wiring. If your home's wiring system is old and timeworn, then chances of fraying and damage are high. The conduction in a wire may also deteriorate over time because of a bulky obstruction. While you can probably cover small, worn out areas with insulation tape, keep in mind that larger wire faults will need complete replacement by qualified electrical contractors. Ideally, you should get your electrician to check the wiring periodically to ensure that a preventable electric fire doesn't start in your home.
Plugging Too Many Appliances Into A Single Electrical Circuit
Plugging too many appliances into a single electrical circuit may also trigger electrical fires in your home because of the sudden power surge. Make sure that you don't overload the system, especially if it is older because these older systems aren't equipped to take on the heavy loads of modern appliances. Overloading could result in the formation of sparks and ultimately electrical fires. If your existing circuit cannot take the load, you may need to get a professional electrician to replace it with a higher capacity electrical circuit before re-connecting your appliances to it.
Plugging Faulty Electrical Gadgets Into Power Sockets
Old and unused electrical appliances can also trigger electrical fires in your home because of loose and non-insulated wiring. Poor insulation will cause electricity and heat to be transferred from these faulty gadgets into other home items, eventually resulting in a fire. Appliances that are faulty or damaged should ideally not be used until they are repaired or replaced. You'll also want to ensure that your gadgets have no loose wires hanging around to prevent shocks.
Remember that it is your responsibility to prevent these factors from causing electrical fires in your home. If you notice any of these issues, be sure to call a professional electrician to rectify the electrical problem before it triggers into a massive fire.